Hot Cross Buns
- The Fairmont Southampton
- 4.31 kg
Sponge - Step 1
- 740 Grams High Gluten/Bread Flour
- 43 Grams Instant Dry Yeast
- 917 Grams Milk
Final Dough - Step 2
- 1.100 KG High Gluten/Bread Flour
- 298 Grams Eggs
- 30 Grams Lemon Zest
- 200 Grams Soft Unsalted Butter
- 60 Grams Honey
- 10 Grams Malt Syrup
- 10 Grams Sugar
- Pinch Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch Ground Allspice
- 40 Grams Salt
- 1.700 KG Sponge (from above)
- 550 Grams Currants
- 200 Grams Candied Lemon Peel
Egg Wash - Step 3
- 230 Grams Eggs
- 250 ML Milk
- Pinch Salt
Hot Cross Bun Topping - Step 4
- 230 Grams Melted Unsalted Butter
- 230 Grams Sugar
- 45 Grams Eggs
- 170 Grams Milk
- 15 Grams Vanilla Extract
- 10 Grams Lemon Zest
- 455 Grams Cake Flour
Glaze - Step 5
- 255 Grams Apricot Jam
- 180 ML Water
- 255 Grams Light Corn Syrup
- 45 ML Liquor (such as rum)
- 120 Minutes
- Total Time:
- 120 Minutes
- Combine flour, yeast, & milk.
- Mix on low speed with dough hook attachment for 2 minutes. Mix on medium speed for another 1 minute.
- Ferment for 30 minutes.
Final Dough Preparation
- Combine flour, eggs, lemon zest, butter, honey, malt syrup, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, & sponge.
- Mix for 4 minutes on low speed with dough hook attachment & for 4 minutes on high speed.
- Mix the currants & candied peel for 1 minute on low speed until smooth.
- Ferment the dough until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 60 grams per piece. Shape each dough into a tight round.
- Ferment for another 15 minutes
- Reshape the pieces of dough into tight rounds and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving approximately 3 inches between each bun.
- Lightly brush the dough with egg wash (recipe in next section).
- Ferment the dough for another 45 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the dough pieces with egg wash (recipe in next section) & let them dry for 5 minutes.
- Fill pastry bag fitted with #2 tip with the Hot Cross Bun Topping (recipe in next section) and pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake at 375 F for a deck oven or 350 F for convection oven until golden brown, approximately 18 minutes.
- Heat the Glaze (recipe in the next section). Remove buns from oven & brush with hot glaze. Cool completely on racks.
Egg Wash Preparation
- Combine eggs, milk, & salt with wire whip.
Hot Cross Topping Preparation
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix butter, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, & lemon zest, scraping down bowl occasionally.
- Add flour & mix thoroughly, scraping down bowl.
- Use immediately.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan & stir.
- Bring to boil, stirring to incorporate.
- Note: use glaze while still warm, applying with a pastry brush.
A fabulous Bermuda Hot Cross Bun recipe from Pastry Chef Allan Barrios at The Fairmont Southampton. For a perfect Bermuda Easter treat, slide one of Chef Herbie Bascome's fish cakes into one - yum!
- Choose Your Moment
- Guest Stories
- Food & Drink
- Spa & Wellness
- Arts & Culture
- Fairmont Magazine
- Fairmont Cocktails
This product uses the Instagram API but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram.