Chilhuacle rubbed leg of lamb, grilled corn on the cob and baby onions
Learn more about Fairmont Mayakoba or make a booking.
Yield: 1 Bone leg lamb
Prep time: 2 hours
Total time: 3 hours + marinating overnight
Difficulty Level: Easy
10 dried chilhuacle chilies
1 dried ancho chili
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 whole clove
6 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
1 bone inn Lamb leg
15 large baby onions
5 wholes corn on the cob with the husk
Salt and freshly ground pepper
12 corn tortillas charred.
4 whole orange
1. Seed all of the dried chills and roast them in the oven 5 min at 180 f, then transfer to a blender and ground them.
2. Marinate the leg of lamb with the salt, pepper and rub it with the chili powder. Keep it marinate it for 1 night.
3. Roasted the leg lamb for 35 min at 220 f, make sure to cover it with aluminum foil. Then the increase the temperature of the oven at 320 f for 5 minutes in order to have a nice crust.
4. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
5. Strain all the juice of the pan, where you roast it and keep it on the side.
6. Peel the corns, keeping the husk tide, and grill them until charred.
7. Grill the baby onions for 5 min each side.
8. Plate in a family platter with the baby onions and the corns, served some juice on the top of the lamb before carving it.
Spicy, smoky, salty and sweet – You will find these elements together and would be very nice for a family meeting and be part of a traditional flavor but different way to eat the lamb in Mexico. My twist: Charred the tortillas in a direct flame or fire. Demian Cruz